Monday, May 3, 2010

Jemma Kidd Make Up School


I'm just back from London where I completed a course in Professional Glamour Makeup at the Jemma Kidd Makeup School near Notting Hill. Oh joy to be left loose in a studio full of pro make up products and watching slides depicting female glamour icons of the 20th century. We were taught about everything from photographic lighting to classic lip shapes.

David Horne is the director for education at Jemma Kidd. His career in makeup artistry spans Balenciaga catwalk shows and a meteoric rise up the ladder at MAC- his last position with them was as creative director for MAC in the UK, Germany and Switzerland. Let me tell you, David Horne knows make up!It's not often you meet a total technical perfectionist with a brilliant sense of humour. He had us in stitches for the whole course and I reckon that's why he's in such demand as an instructor. Every detail that David tells and shows you is delivered with wit, and well, it just sticks.
As I expected we were given a selection of products from the Jemma Kidd Make Up School and Make Up Pro product ranges. We used some of these in class but mainly used MAC, Laura Mercier and Illamasqua. I will definitely be posting a Jemma Kidd product review after I put them to more use over the next few weeks.



This course was amazing, not only was I pushed creatively but I also learned some highly skilled make up techniques. I never knew quite how technical glamour can be! Here's me applying the finishing touches to Kate's catwalk smokey eye look.

No comments:

Post a Comment